Posted by: wasatchprotocol | February 8, 2010

Ski Building Round 2

I started getting the itch again.  Time to start ‘production’ once again.

The Model Ones have been holding up pretty well considering my press issues.  And they’ve been skiing well too.  They’re burly, like to go fast, super stable, and turn on a dime.  My only gripe at this point (besides the cosmetic blemishes/inconsistencies here and there) is with the amount of tail rocker I put into the skis.  I put in a little too much.

Here’s why:  With a lot of tail rocker combined with zero camber, the ski has some of the same characteristics of a reverse camber ski.  They’re super fun in deep snow, both for alpine turns and telemark turns.  However, on hard snow, telemark turns get a little squirrely since there isn’t much tail to “carve” into the snow.  So I’ll trim it down a bit on the next pair.

The Model Ones were:

191 cm

146-121-127

Camber underfoot: 0

Tip rocker:  40 cm length, ~5.2 cm total rise

Tail Rocker:  30 cm length, ~3.2 cm total rise

The Model Twos will be something like the following:

189 cm

141-115-123

Camber underfoot: 0.5 cm

Tip Rocker: 30-40 cm length, 6 cm total rise

Tail Rocker: 15 cm length, 4 cm total rise

The reduced tail rocker, the slight camber underfoot, and the additional sidecut should allow the skis to handle hard snow better.  They’ll also be more enjoyable in spring touring conditions.  The tip rocker, low camber (0.5 isn’t much), slight tail rocker, tapered tip and tail should still make a great pow ride.  That combination and the size of the ski will make me much more likely to grab them for tours in the backcountry.

I started on the cores yesterday.  I ripped wood stringers with the table saw and then glued them together for a vertical laminate.  The two central stringers are fir, and the outer stringers are pine.  I don’t know what kind of graphics will go on yet, but I’ll be leaving much of the topsheet clear to expose the wood.  The fir stringers will look darker and appear like a racing stripe through the middle of the core.  I’ll also be interested to see how the flex is impacted by the addition of the fir.  My last cores were all pine.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: